Newton Resource Centre Intake Volunteer
The Newton Advocacy Resource Centre provides assistance to people in accessing benefits to which they are entitled. Advocates provide support to people in applying for financial benefits, finding safe and affordable housing, supporting individuals to maintain housing, operating a Rent Bank and the website “Ask an Advocate”.
Newton Advocacy Intake Volunteers support these service by providing first point of contact, information and referral for individuals seeking service in person and over the phone.
To be successful in this position, volunteers will:
- Be 18+ years of age.
- Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of poverty and homelessness-related issues.
- Have an ability to work well with diverse client populations and engage with clients in an empathetic, positive and professional manner.
- Have an ability to build rapport with a variety of individuals while maintaining a professional demeanour and firm professional boundaries.
- Have an ability to exercise good judgement in a demanding and continually changing work environment.
- Have an ability to work in a dynamic and energetic environment; as an individual as well as with supervision and support.
- Knowledge of local community resources and support services is an asset.
- Familiar with business technology; computer/technical skills and experience, including MS Office 10, internet navigation and research, and standard office equipment.
- Willingness to secure a Criminal Records Check. All positions have been designated by Sources Community Resource Society as requiring a Criminal Records Review prior to an applicant being employed in this capacity. Certain police records may preclude the appointment to certain positions.
Volunteer Intake Workers will:
- Intake: Handle telephone inquiries and determine the nature of inquiry; redirect calls or provide information about Newton Resource Centre and its programs; complete intake with clients; welcome clients for appointments, workshops or resource room.
- Donations: Organize and sort donations for distribution to clients.
- Administration: Assist with database maintenance and client satisfaction surveys using Excel
- Training: Maintain current knowledge of community resources and issues by reading assigned material.
- Ensure that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all clients are maintained.
- Ensures the health and safety of all clients in the course of working with them.
- Ensures that Sources Policies and Procedures are followed as well as the operating procedures of the Newton Advocacy Resource Centre.
Positions at the Volunteer Services office require a minimum 6 month commitment, with one shift per week, for 4 hours. The Advocacy Department is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Benefits to this position:
This position comes with the opportunity to be a direct point of support and assistance to those individuals in the community who need it most. The demographic of clients being served often includes vulnerable and unsupported individuals in critical need of advocacy support. This position is a very real opportunity to get involved and be that point of contact for individuals needing advocacy and support as they move towards increasing or improving their current circumstances. This volunteer position also offers an opportunity to grow and learn valuable skills to more fully assist marginalized members of our community; this could include involvement in our Rent Bank, form completion, Ask an Advocate website, or others.
Want to apply?
Please click on the link below.
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-542-4357.