Social Group Assistant Volunteer (Life Skills)
Sources Life Skills Program provides independent living support for adults who have an intellectual disability. Group and one-on-one services include life skills assessment and training, peer networking, roommate/accommodation search, and information and referral. Sources Life Skills offers day programs with an emphasis on life skills development, recreation, work or volunteer experiences, community participation, and the arts. The Life Skills Program also hosts a community kitchen, evening social club, and self-advocates group.
Tuesday night Social Group is a gathering of the residents of the Life Skills Program each Tuesday evening from 4:30-8:00 pm. Staff and volunteers organize and coordinate the evening which consists of food and beverages, along with a variety of games and activities. Volunteers are directly involved in delivery of the evening’s activities as well as in set up and cleanup of the evening. Volunteers will work under the supervision of Life Skills staff members. Involvement in the Social Group may also involve assisting with special events, such as a performance of “Events Unlimited”.
Individuals in this position must:
• Individuals to work as a supportive member of the program staff team, by assisting in providing activities at the Tuesday Night Social Club.
• Assists program staff with set-up and clean-up of facilities used for activities.
• Ensures that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all clients are maintained at all times.
• Ensures the health and safety of all clients in the course of working with them.
• Promptly provides the Program Manager or Staff Supervisor with ample information about program participants as well as any other potential problems or unusual situations.
• Experience working with adults with behaviour challenges would be an asset.
• Good verbal and written skills would be an asset.
• Must have a current First Aid/CPR Certificate.
To be successful in this position:
• Individuals must have a genuine interest in interacting and engaging with clients of the Life Skills Program.
• Maintain a positive and supportive attitude with staff and clients of the program.
• Be able to follow staff direction well and complete tasks as they are assigned in facilitating the Tuesday night Social Group.
• Must be observant to the needs of the program participants who are adults who live with intellectual and/or physical challenges.
Be available every Tuesday night from September until June from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Benefits to this position:
Volunteers in this position have the opportunity to participate and assist in a fun engaging evening with clients. Volunteers will see the benefits of their involvement through the genuine enjoyment and satisfaction of the adult clients of the Social Group. This is a perfect opportunity for individuals with a positive, kind and engaging nature to connect with clients, who would benefit most.
Want to apply?
Please download and complete the below Forms and return In Person to Sources Volunteer Services office at 882 Maple St., White Rock, OR Email to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing the Volunteer Position.
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com or 604-542-4357.