Hospital to Home
Sources Hospital to Home is a program designed to support seniors being discharged from hospital by providing companionship and a ride home. This program breaks down barriers to transportation, provides companionship to isolated community members and assists senior patients in returning to their homes more quickly.
This program is successful due to its unique partnership with the Peace Arch Hospital and Seniors Come Share Society.
The volunteers of this program work in pairs and assist seniors in their transition home from hospital. This is transportation and companionship service, no medical care or training is needed or provided to clients. Since the program’s inception, over 370 seniors between the ages of 53 and 98 have been assisted in returning home. Volunteers have been key in keeping patients safe, comfortable and alleviating fears of being alone.
This position requires:
- Strong interpersonal skills and possess sensitivity and empathy to clients’ needs at all times.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in stressful situations.
- Flexibility in meeting the needs/requests of the unit patient is being discharged.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Willingness to have an annual flu shot.
- A genuine desire to provide support and assistance in ensuring clients of the program transition comfortably and safely back into their homes.
- Those volunteers driving will require a driver’s abstract, a current class 5 driver’s license, appropriate insurance and will sign a ‘personal driving agreement’ with Sources.
- The ability to complete orientation and training through the Peace Arch Hospital as required.
- A criminal records check will be required.
The Hospital to Home program operates Tuesday through Friday between the hours of 10:00 am – 2:00 pm. Days that require volunteers will be selected in cooperation with the operations manager of the program. Sources does require a minimum 6 month commitment of volunteers for this program.
Benefits to this position:
This volunteer position is an opportunity to close an important link in providing holistic healthcare to seniors living in White Rock and South Surrey. Volunteers provide valuable support, companionship, and resources while ensuring each person returns home safely. Many of our clients face isolation and multiple barriers; volunteers ensure each person feels safe and supported during what can be a stressful transition time.
Want to apply?
To apply, please click on the link below.
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-542-4357.