Hospital to Home
The Hospital to Home a is program designed to support seniors being discharged from hospital by providing companionship and a ride home. This program operates in cooperation with the Peace Arch Hospital and the Seniors Come Share Society. The program was developed in order to fill a gap which existed in assisting seniors discharged from the hospital that had no way to get home, therefore keeping them in the hospital longer than they needed to be .
The volunteers of this program work in pairs and assist seniors in their transition home from hospital. This is transportation and companionship service, no medical care or training is needed or provided to clients. Since the program’s inception in January 2016, over 250 seniors between the ages of 53 and 98 have been helped to return home. Volunteers have been key in keeping patients safe, comfortable and alleviating fears of being alone.
This position requires:
- Strong interpersonal skills and possess sensitivity and empathy to clients’ needs at all times.
- Ability to communicate with sensitivity towards individuals from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take direction and work as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in stressful situations.
- Flexibility in meeting the needs/requests of the unit patient is being discharged.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- A genuine desire to provide support and assistance in ensuring clients of the program transition comfortably and safely back into their homes.
- Those volunteers driving will require a driver’s abstract, a current class 5 driver’s license, appropriate insurance and will sign a ‘personal driving agreement’ with Sources.
- The ability to complete orientation and training through the Peace Arch Hospital as required.
- As part of this job description it is required to note that this is a transportation and companionship service only. Volunteers are restricted from providing any form of medical advice or assistance to clients.
- A Criminal Records Check
The Hospital to Home Program operates Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:30am – 1:30pm. Days that require volunteers will be selected in cooperation with the operations manager of the program. A flexible schedule is preferred. Sources requires a minimum 6 months commitment from volunteers for this program.
Benefits to this position:
This volunteer position comes with the opportunity to be a critical support system to individuals going through the discharge from hospital process. It allows volunteers to have direct and meaningful contact with clients, enabling them to feel safe and supported during what can be an uneasy and stressful transition time.
Want to apply?
Please download and complete the below Forms and return In Person to Sources Volunteer Services office at 882 Maple St., White Rock, OR Email to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing the Volunteer Position.
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com or 604-542-4357.