Poverty Law Advocate – Permanent, Full Time
December 18, 2018| EXTERNAL/INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 18-131
Position: Poverty Law Advocate – Permanent Full time
Hours: 35 hrs per week
We are looking for a Poverty Law Advocate to join our Sources Advocacy team! This individual must be have excellent communication skills, be a team player and commitment to social justice.
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Newton Resource Centre
This position provides comprehensive advocacy services to marginalized individuals and families in the areas of income assistance, disability assistance; tenancy, Canada Pension Plan Disability, Employment and Insurance, debt, and other income support related programs. Provides assistance and representation through administration hearing processes.
- Provide a full continuum of services in the areas of income support programs both provincially and federally and residential tenancy. This includes providing support, information, referral, completion of forms, written communications on behalf of the client, negotiation and mediation, written appeals, representation at tribunal hearings and arbitration.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with the Ministry of Social Development, other government agencies, other service agencies and the community.
- Maintains complete and accurate statistics and records for all program activities.
- Perform administrative practices including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- Promotes the project’s activities at public events and provides public education workshop.
- · Minimum two years post-secondary education,
- · Two years of experience in tenant, disability and income support programs
- · The ability to read, interpret and understand legislation
- · Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written skills, team oriented and exercises good judgment
- · Ability to speak Punjabi
- · Self-motivated with well-developed case management and planning skills; organization, time management, problem solving and decision-making skills essential,
- · Knowledge of local community resources and an awareness and understanding of poverty related issues,
- · May be required to work the occasional weekend or evening.
Start Date: ASAP
- · 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
- · Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- · Employee & Family Assistance plan
- · Pension plan
- · Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: Jan 17, 2019, internal candidates will be contacted by Jan 18, 2019
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Ram Sidhu at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.