Legal Advocacy Assistant
Sources Legal Resources Centre provides free information, referrals and advocacy services to individuals navigating through various legal systems. Our services include:
- Poverty Law Advocacy
- Mental Health Consumer Advocacy
- Disability Support Advocacy
- Family Law Advocacy
Volunteer Legal Advocate Assistants will provide practical assistance to the advocacy team to improve our client’s accessibility to benefits, services and the legal system overall.
To be successful in this position, you will have:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible, detail oriented with strong organizational skills and possess an ability to take initiative, accept direction and work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work well with diverse client populations. Ability to relate to individuals across all socioeconomic and cultural groups.
- Ability to build rapport with a variety of individuals while maintaining a professional demeanour and firm professional boundaries.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in a demanding and continually changing work environment.
- Knowledge of local community resources and support services.
- Familiar with business technology; computer/technical skills and experience, including MS Office 10, internet navigation and research, and standard office equipment.
- Experience and/or training in crisis counselling and/or conflict resolution is an asset.
- Experience in advocacy or in the field of family/poverty law is an asset.
- Multi-lingual (Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu) is an asset.
- Willingness to secure a Criminal Records Check. All positions have been designated by Sources Community Resource Society as requiring a Criminal Records Review prior to an applicant being employed in this capacity. Certain police records may preclude the appointment to certain positions.
Volunteer Legal Advocate Assistants will:
- Take online training through Sources’ Ask-An-Advocate online course.
- Greet clients in person and over the phone. Assist intake worker with screening process to determine client needs and eligibility for services/programs.
- Assist advocates with file maintenance to ensure proper PQI standards.
- With support, follow up with clients and schedule appointments.
- With support, assist with form completion including applications for Income Assistance, GIS, OAS, SAFER, rental subsidy, affordable child care benefit, Family Maintenance Enforcement enrollment etc.
- With support, assist advocates in preparing client cases.
- Be on-site during volunteer shift; no outside accompaniments are permitted.
- Perform administrative duties as needed.
- Ensures that the rights, dignity and confidentiality of all clients are maintained.
Positions at the Legal Resources Centre require a minimum 6 month commitment, with one shift per week, for 4 hours. This is a new position for which we are recruiting to fill all positions Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm or 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm.
Benefits of this volunteer position:
Volunteers with the Sources Legal Resources Centre have the opportunity to engage in social justice work. Our advocacy team works with multi-barriered clients seeking advocacy in times of crisis. Volunteers will assist clients in becoming more aware of their rights and benefits and provide support clients as they navigate through various legal systems. This volunteer position offers an opportunity to grow and learn valuable advocacy skills – a great position for students interested in social justice and/or pursuing a career in law.
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at email@example.com or 604-542-4357.
WANT TO APPLY?