Dental Clinic Volunteer Assistant
Sources Volunteer Dental Clinic was started by Dr. Ken Stones, a local area dentist, who identified a need in our community for dental care to support individuals who may not be able to access such services due to cost factors. In collaboration with Sources, Dr. Stones, and several other local dentists and support staff, launched this free Dental Clinic Program in October of 2009 to serve clients living in the White Rock/South Surrey area. This program is centralized at Weatherby Pavilion located at Peace Arch Hospital in White Rock.
The Dental Clinic Volunteer Assistant will provide administrative assistance ensuring smooth operations and improve the oral health, overall health and wellness of people living in poverty. The assistant will work directly with the Dentist Assistant and volunteer dental professionals to schedule appointments, update and enter client files, stock clinic supplies, greet and welcome clients in a way that is calming for those who are experiencing pain and stress.
To be successful in this position, volunteers will:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible, detail oriented with strong organizational skills and possess an ability to take initiative, accept direction and work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work well with diverse client populations. Ability to relate to individuals across all socioeconomic and cultural groups.
- Ability to build rapport with a variety of individuals while maintaining a professional demeanour and firm professional boundaries.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in a demanding and continually changing work environment.
- Familiar with business technology; computer/technical skills and experience, including MS Office 10, and standard office equipment.
- Experience and/or training in conflict resolution is an asset.
- Experience in the dental field, administration or otherwise, is an asset.
- Willingness to secure a Criminal Records Check. All positions have been designated by Sources Community Resource Society as requiring a Criminal Records Review prior to an applicant being employed in this capacity. Certain police records may preclude the appointment to certain positions.
Positions at the Sources Dental Clinic office require a minimum 6-month commitment, with one shift per week. The current shift available is Fridays from approximately 8:45 am to 1:00 pm. Other shifts may be available in consultation with the Manager of Volunteer Manager.
Benefits to this position:
This position offers the opportunity to assist residents of our community facing barriers to access vital programs and services that can dramatically affect their well-being. It is a valuable opportunity to support clients with resources that may otherwise not be available to them. Volunteers at the dental clinic will provide support in a way that can have immediate, and long-lasting positive impacts for clients. This volunteer position offers an opportunity to grow and learn valuable skills in the dentistry field – a great position for students interested in pursuing a dentistry-related education.
Want to apply?
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-542-4357.