Legal Assistant – Permanent, Full Time
FEBRUARY 18, 2020| INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 20-016
Position: Legal Assistant- Permanent Fulltime
Hours: 35 per week (Monday-Friday)
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about social justice issues to fill the position of Legal Assistant at Sources Legal Resource Centre.
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, Parksville and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources has recently launched a Poverty Law Clinic (PLC) to provide legal advice to marginalized individuals who have appeared or are appearing before an administrative tribunal including the Employments Standards Tribunal, Employment and Assistance Appeal Tribunal, Social Security Tribunal, Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal, British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, and Residential Tenancy Branch. The clinic will also be able to provide representation to individuals appearing in Supreme Court for Judicial Review.
The Legal Assistant will work under the supervision of the clinic lawyer to meet with clients (by phone, in person and by email), to review files, draft legal and administrative correspondence, review/summarize files for the clinic lawyer, conduct legal research, maintain a legal library, and assist with administrative tasks when required including relief coverage for our Intake Worker.
- · Meet with clients and provide legal information to clients as it pertains to their poverty law issues
- · Draft legal and legislative documents
- · Research current policies and procedures, statute laws, case laws etc.
- · Assist clinic lawyer with public legal education (PLE) on occasion as required
- · Maintain complete and accurate statistics and records for all program activities
- · Perform administrative tasks including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- · Completion of post-secondary education in law or legal studies
- · Experience appearing before administrative tribunals
- · Experience supporting and advocating for marginalized individuals
- · Ability to run an organized caseload
- · Experience with legal writing and legal research
- · Skilled in the use of computer technology including e-filing and presentation software
- · Strong attention to detail and accuracy, able to multi-task, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- · Ability to be flexible as situations arise
- · Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written skills
- · Capable of taking a team-oriented approach
- · Skilled at exercising good judgment
Start Date: ASAP
- · 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
- · Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- · Employee & Family Assistance plan
- · Pension plan
- · Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: February 25, 2020
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Rupi Sahota at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.