Legal Assistant – Permanent, Full Time
JULY 28, 2020| INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 20-072
Position: Legal Assistant- Permanent Fulltime
Hours: 35 per week (Monday-Friday)
We are looking for an individual who is passionate about social justice issues to fill the position of Legal Assistant at Sources Community Law Clinic.
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, Parksville and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Community Law Clinic offers free legal services to low income and marginalized individuals. The Clinic provides legal advice, advocacy, and representation on matters that are adjudicated by various administrative tribunals including: Residential Tenancy Branch, Human Rights Tribunal, WorkSafe BC, Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal, Income Assistance Appeals and Social Assistance Appeals (both provincial and federal), and the Civil Resolution Tribunal. The Law Clinic also also provides representation to individuals appearing in Supreme Court for Judicial Review.
The Legal Assistant will work under the supervision of the Clinic Lawyer to provide a range of support and administrative services, including intake, document review, file management, drafting correspondence, legal research and occasionally providing coverage for our Intake Worker.
- · Gather background information and documents from clients
- · Provide clients with legal information or referrals
- · Draft correspondence and legal documents
- · Conduct legal research
- · Maintain library of research aids
- · Maintain complete and accurate statistics and records
- · Assist Clinic Lawyer with public legal education as required
- · Perform administrative tasks including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- Completion of post-secondary education in related field
- · Ability to understand and speak Punjabi or Hindi
- · Knowledge about administrative tribunals
- · Experience supporting marginalized individuals
- · Ability to conduct legal research
- · Skilled in the use of computer technology including Microsoft Office Suite and file management software
- · Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- · Able to multi-task, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- · Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
- · Capable of taking a team-oriented approach
- · Skilled at exercising good judgment
Start Date: ASAP
- · 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
- · Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- · Employee & Family Assistance plan
- · Pension plan
- · Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: August 4, 2020
How to apply: Please email your application and resume to Legal Advocacy Program Manager, Gurjit Pawar at email@example.com Thank you.