Poverty Law Advocate – Permanent, Full Time
JULY 13, 2020| INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 20-066
Position: Poverty Law Advocate- Permanent Fulltime
Hours: 35 per week (Monday-Friday)
We are looking for a Poverty Law Advocate to join our Advocacy team and Community Law Clinic. This individual must have legal experience, excellent communication skills, a commitment to social justice issues and be a team player.
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, Parksville and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Community Law Clinic offers free legal services to low income and marginalized individuals. The Legal Advocate will work under the supervision of the Clinic Lawyer to provide legal information and advocacy on matters that are adjudicated by various administrative tribunals including: Residential Tenancy Branch, Human Rights Tribunal, WorkSafe BC, Workers Compensation Appeal Tribunal, Income Assistance Appeals and Social Assistance Appeals (both provincial and federal), and the Civil Resolution Tribunal.
- Provide a full continuum of services in the areas identified above. This includes providing support, information, referral, completion of forms, written communications and submissions on behalf of the client, negotiation and mediation, representation at tribunal hearings and arbitration.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with provincial ministries, other government agencies, other service agencies and the community.
- Maintains complete and accurate statistics and records for all program activities.
- Perform administrative practices including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- Promotes the Law Clinic’s activities at public events and provides public education workshop.
- · Completion of post-secondary in legal studies.
- · Experience appearing before administrative tribunals or courts.
- · Experience with legal writing, legal research and interpretation of statutes.
- · Self-motivated with the ability to run an organized caseload.
- · Skilled in the use of computer technology including e-filing and presentation software.
- · Skilled at exercising good judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to take a team-orientated approach.
- · Knowledge of local community resources and an awareness and understanding of social justice issues.
- · May be required to work he occasional weekend or evening.
Start Date: ASAP
- · 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
- · Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- · Employee & Family Assistance plan
- · Pension plan
- · Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: July 20, 2020
How to apply: Please email your application and resume to Rupi Sahota at email@example.com. Thank you.