Tenancy Advocate – Permanent, Full Time
September 21, 2021| EXTERNAL/INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 21-088
Position: Tenancy Advocate – Full Time
Location: Newton Resource Center
Hours: 35 hrs/week
We are looking for a Tenancy Advocate to join our Sources Homelessness Partnership Strategy – Prevention Program team! This individual must be eager, motivated, organised, and responsible!
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Homelessness Partnership Strategy – Prevention Program
Provides information, referrals, and advocacy for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Services include housing advocacy and assistance to access income support, including communication with government departments, representation at appeals, mediation with landlords, and assistance applying for subsidized housing. Services can also be accessed through partner sites, who book weekly appointments for clients to meet with an advocate.
- – Provides comprehensive housing loss prevention services to marginalized individuals and families at imminent risk of housing loss to maintain their tenancy, access income supports, benefits and/or obtain housing to support housing stability. Services delivered both in office and on multiple partner sites (Surrey & Langley). Service includes providing support, information, referral, completion of forms and applications, written communications on behalf of the client, negotiation and mediation, written appeals and representation at tribunals and hearings, also provides assistance with housing search and accessing resources.
- – Providing advocacy services to disadvantaged individuals in the areas of income assistance, provincial disability benefits, federal income security programs and residential tenancy. The advocate will be experienced in working with people with disabilities; providing support, information, and referral; written communications on behalf of the client as well as accompaniment to meetings, tribunal hearings an dispute resolution hearings; mediates and negotiates with government agencies and landlords.
- – Assist with program events, presentations, meetings and agency events as required and any other duties as assigned by the manager as necessary.
- Minimum 2 years post-secondary education and experience in related field.
- Understanding of advocacy, Provincial and Federal income supports programs and tenancy.
- An awareness and understanding of poverty and homelessness related issues.
- · Ability to read, understand and interpret applicable legislation and an awareness of government processes and procedures required. Exceptional knowledge of community resources also required.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills including, informational interviewing for content, public relations, oral and written skills.
- Self-motivated with well-developed planning, organizing, problem solving and decision making skills. Time management and ability to meet deadlines imperative.
- Knowledge of local community resources.
- Must be willing to work the occasional weekend or evening
- Must have valid BC driver’s license and own vehicle to use for work
- Criminal Record check required
START DATE: ASAP
· 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
· Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
· Employee & Family Assistance plan
· Pension plan
· Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: October 1, 2021, internal candidates will be contacted by October 1, 2021
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Jay Blaschuk, Housing Support Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.