Poverty Law Advocate – Permanent, Full Time
JULY 26, 2022| INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 22-090
Position: Poverty Law Advocate – Full-Time
Location: Newton Resource Center
Hours: 35 hours/week
We are looking for a Poverty Law Advocate to join our Sources Advocacy Programs team! This individual should be a strong positive model by being energetic, creative, and resourceful while also possessing strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
SOURCES is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing support, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, Prince George, and Parksville for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We welcome people of all genders, races, cultures, ethnicities and abilities. We strive to create more vibrant and resilient communities by offering support to children, youth, families, persons with disabilities, seniors, LGBTQ2S+ individuals, and others who are coping with isolation, addiction, mental illness, poverty, disability and conflict. We also support our communities through leadership, education and volunteerism.
SOURCES is also committed to learning about, celebrating and incorporating Indigenous knowledge into our practices as we continue our work in truth, reconciliation and resurgence.
We value diversity, respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Newton Resource Centre
The Newton Resource Centre offers a variety of services for individuals who a living in poverty including those who are homeless. These programs focus on supporting individuals to obtain and maintain essential income and living resources including income assistance, other government benefits, and affordable rental housing. Our Housing Support Services assist individuals who are homeless and at imminent risk of homelessness. This team works collaboratively to address the unique and complex needs of each individual as well as works in partnership with other service providers in the community to address the needs of this target population.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
This position provides comprehensive advocacy services to marginalized individuals and families for income assistance, disability assistance; to maintain tenancy, Canada Pension Plan Disability, Employment and Insurance, debt, and other income support related programs. Provides assistance and representation through administration hearing processes.
- · Minimum 2 years of post-secondary education and 2 years’ advocacy experience or a combination will be considered
- · Effectively utilize Office suite including Excel, Word, Outlook and central data systems, managing electronic records, file management and reporting skills necessary
- · Awareness of poverty and homelessness related issues
- · Excellent interpersonal communication skills including public relations, oral and written skills as well as public speaking ability
- · Exercise good judgment and the ability to negotiate and mediate on behalf of clients with government agencies and landlords.
- · The ability to function independently and under pressure and effectively manage the crisis, emergency situations and challenging clients
- · Have a strong sense of social justice and a resilient desire to assist and improve the lives of marginalized people
- · Work from a client service and solution-focused approach
- · Ability to read, understand and interpret applicable legislation and awareness of government processes and procedures required.
- · Knowledge of local community resources
- Successful criminal record check
- Unrestricted Class 5 B.C Driver’s license and clean driving abstract
- Proof of SIN
- First Aid/CPR/NCI training is provided by Sources upon hiring
Start Date: September 1, 2022
- 100% employer-paid coverage for extended health and dental
- Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- Employee & Family Assistance plan
- Pension plan
- Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: August 15, 2022
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Tatiana Belyaeva, Advocacy Programs Manager, email@example.com. Thank you.