Senior’s Engagement Assistant
DATE October 24, 2023| EXTERNAL/INTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position : SENIORS’ ENGAGEMENT ASSISTANT
Location: 2343 156 Street, Surrey
Hours: Temporary-35 hours/week
Employment End Date: June 30, 2024 (potential for extension based on funding)
We are looking for a Seniors’ Engagement Assistant to join our Sources Volunteer Services team. This individual must be energetic, creative, and passionate about supporting seniors and specifically seniors with emerging needs including food security.
SOURCES is a community-based non-profit organization providing support and hope to communities in the Lower Mainland, on Vancouver Island, and across Northern BC. Sources strives to create vibrant and resilient communities through support to adults, children, youth, and families facing challenges in life such as mental health, disability, poverty, substance use, and conflict. We support our communities through leadership, education, and volunteerism.
Sources is committed to learning about, celebrating and incorporating Indigenous knowledge into our practices as we continue our work in truth and reconciliation. People of all races, cultures, ethnicities, LGBTQ2S+, and abilities are welcomed to work with us. We value diversity, respect, and collaboration as we promote our mission: social wellness for our community.
Description of position
Reporting to the Manager of Volunteer Resources, the Seniors’ Engagement Assistant is a temporary employee of Sources Community Resources. The Seniors’ Engagement Assistant will provide direct service and administrative support to the programs focused on meeting the needs of seniors in our community. The focus will be on emerging needs of seniors (including food security), facilitating access to Sources and community programs and creating meaningful connections in their community.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Engage with seniors who access the South Surrey White Rock Food Bank to identify other needs that can be addressed through referrals to Sources or community programs.
- Provide assistance with program navigation and access.
- Provide support to daily operations of Volunteer Services programs including Dental Clinic, Income Tax Clinic, Shop by Phone, Volunteer Wheels, and other programs.
- Work in collaboration with the Volunteer Services team to support wraparound care.
- Assist with the Seniors Hub program in supporting and providing age-friendly services to older adults in accessing information, benefits, pensions, and other applications while increasing social connectedness in the community.
- Assist with the coordination of Sources’ participation in community events as needed.
Program Specific Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development of communication/marketing materials as needed.
- Attend regular meetings, oversee registration, maintain records, collect data and provide ongoing evaluations reports as required by funders.
- Other duties as needed.
- Diploma and/or equivalent proven experience in a related field
- Experience working with seniors and volunteers in an intercultural setting and how to promote inclusion.
- Effectively utilize Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, Outlook, and other data systems.
- Ability to take initiative, identify urgent work items and set priorities. Able to work independently.
- Possess an understanding of the issues related to poverty and the ability to handle sensitive client issues with tact and non-judgement.
- Ability to maintain open and direct communications with clients and volunteers.
- Ability to work through potentially difficult and stressful situations with proven crisis resolution skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with culturally diverse community residents and community service partners.
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training (Training may be provided through Sources)
- Standard First Aid and CPR (Training may be accessed through Sources)
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and driver’s abstract an asset.
- Criminal Records check through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Criminal Records Review Program
Start Date: ASAP
Benefits (if applicable):
- 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
- Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- Employee & Family Assistance plan
- Pension plan
- 3-weeks’ vacation per annum
Closing Date: November 3, 2023. Eligible candidates will be contacted on an ongoing basis.
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .