Volunteer Services – Volunteer Wheels
The Volunteer Wheels service is operating.
As part of our efforts to fight COVID-19 and maintain the health, safety and well-being of our staff, volunteers, clients and community, we ask users of the program to:
Sit in the rear seat of the volunteer’s vehicle.
Wear a mask at all times while in the volunteer’s vehicle.
Be prepared to enter healthcare facilities independently as volunteers will not be providing accompaniment at this time.
IF YOU ARE FEELING UNWELL OR SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19, PLEASE CANCEL YOUR DRIVE.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Learn more about SOURCES’ response here.
The ability to get to essential medical and dental appointments is often challenging for many people. This is particularly true for our senior community members. Family and friends are wonderful sources of support but often their busy lives prevent them from being able to assist with the driving needs of those living in White Rock and South Surrey as much as they might like.
Provided through the volunteer services office at Sources, the Volunteer Wheels program and the volunteer drivers are here to step in and help improve seniors’ access to health care. Our volunteer drivers provide assistance to residents of White Rock and South Surrey who are unable to use public transit and have no other means of reaching essential medical and dental appointments in the Metro Vancouver area. Volunteer drivers pick up and return clients to their residences.
Here are a few helpful hints to help you decide if this program is right for you:
- We serve the residents of White Rock and South Surrey.
- Our volunteers will take your ride requests Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- We accept drive requests a minimum of 1 week to 10 days in advance of your appointment.
- Once we have recorded your request, one of our drivers will call you directly to confirm the ride information and to let you know what time you will be picked up.
- If you are having anesthesia, a responsible adult must accompany you on the return trip (who is not the volunteer driver).
- If you are using oxygen, please ensure your tank has been filled before the ride begins.
- If you need to cancel or change a ride, please provide us with as much notice as possible.
- We are able to provide a maximum of four drives per month.
- Volunteer drivers are not able to make any other stops to or from your appointment.
Please do not hesitate to call us at 604-542-4357 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or to request a ride. We hope to have you “on board.”
Hear from some of our Volunteer Drivers and Clients
Watch our video series on our YouTube channel by clicking the image below: