Mental Health Advocate-Temporary Full Time
COMPETITION NO. 19-122
Position: Mental Health Advocate-Temporary Full-time
Hours: 35 hours per week
We are looking for a Mental Health Advocate to join our Sources Advocacy team! This individual must be have excellent communication skills, be a team player and a commitment to social justice.
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, Parksville and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Mental Health Consumer Advocacy Program
Program staff provide comprehensive advocacy services to individuals living with mental health issues. Advocacy services will be provided in the areas of income assistance, provincial disability benefits, federal income security programs and residential tenancy issues.
- Provides a full continuum of services in the areas of income support programs both provincially and federally and residential tenancy. This includes providing support, information, referral, completion of forms, written communications on behalf of the client, negotiation and mediation, written appeals, representation at tribunal hearings and arbitration.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with the Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction, other government agencies, other service agencies and the community.
- Maintains complete and accurate statistics and records for all program activities.
- Performs administrative tasks including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- Promotes the project’s activities at public events and provides public education workshop.
- Minimum two years post-secondary education.
- Two years of experience in tenant, disability and income support programs advocacy an asset, an ability to read, interpret and understand legislation, an analytical ability and the ability to negotiate and mediate on behalf of clients with landlords and government agencies etc. necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including verbal and written skills, team oriented and exercises good judgment
- Self-motivated with well-developed case management and planning skills; organization, time management, problem solving and decision-making skills essential,
- Knowledge of local community resources and an awareness and understanding of poverty related issues,
- May be required to work the occasional weekend or evening.
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Ability to speak another language is an asset.
Start Date: ASAP
- In lieu of vacation, 4% vacation pay will be paid on top of hourly rate.
Closing Date: October 28, 2019, internal candidates will be contacted by October 29, 2019
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Rupi Sahota at email@example.com. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.