Sources Langley Food Bank Volunteer
Sources Langley Food Bank serves approximately 600 individuals a week by providing nutritious food and support to community members in need. The Sources Food Banks strive to raise awareness about poverty, and to involve the community in solutions. Our Food Banks are proud to offer a choice-based model for our clients— contributing to the preservation of dignity and power of choice for clients lending to an overall more positive experience.
We are looking for volunteers to assist in accepting donations of food items as they arrive to our Food Bank, sorting and weighing donations in preparation for distribution, and working alongside users of the Food Bank in meeting their weekly food needs.
To be successful, volunteers must:
- Be able to lift a minimum 20 lbs.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be flexible, detail oriented with strong organizational skills and possess an ability to take initiative, accept direction and work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Have the ability to work well with diverse client populations. Ability to relate to individuals across all socioeconomic and cultural groups, looking through a lens of poverty and poverty-related issues.
- Have the ability to build rapport with a variety of individuals while maintaining a professional demeanor and firm professional boundaries.
- Have the ability to exercise good judgement in a demanding and continually changing work environment.
- Be willing to secure a Criminal Record Check (at no cost to Sources volunteers). All positions have been designated by Sources Community Resource Society as requiring a Criminal Records Review prior to an applicant being employed in this capacity. Certain police records may preclude the appointment to certain positions.
We currently have the following positions available:
- Wednesdays from 1:00 pm ~ 3:30 pm
Benefits of this position:
Volunteers with the Food Bank have the rewarding opportunity of directly effecting individuals in need in the community by assisting in the receiving, and distributing of food and other necessary items. These positions come with the advantage of being able to work directly with clients and be a positive and supporting interaction in their day. We invite you to be part of a critical and essential service with far-reaching, significant impacts.
WANT TO APPLY?
If you are interested in more information about this opportunity or other volunteer positions with Sources, please contact Volunteer Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-542-4357.