Family Law Advocate – Permanent, Full Time
February 25, 2021| EXTERNAL/INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 21-021
Position: Family Law Advocate- Permanent Fulltime
Location: Newton (Sources Legal Resource Centre)
We are looking for a Family Law Advocate to join our Sources Advocacy team! This individual must have excellent communication skills, be a team player and commitment to social justice.
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Legal Information and Advocacy Services
The program assists in matters of separation and divorce, guardianship and parenting arrangements, child and spousal support and protection orders. We support individuals in navigating the family justice system by providing legal information, referrals, court preparation, and emotional support. We assist with both provincial and Supreme Court matters.
- Screen and identify Individual’s legal issues according to program guidelines and funding mandate.
- Provide emotional support, legal resources, information and appropriate referrals by telephone, website, email, and appointment.
- Assess client information and determine eligibility for referral to Legal Aid.
- Support individuals through the court system, including if appropriate court preparation and accompaniment.
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship with other advocates, lawyers, Legal Services Society, and other relevant groups and individuals.
- Screen and refer individuals to Pro Bono lawyers and Pro Bono clinic.
- Follow-up with lawyers/clients regarding progress/outcome of case.
- Research current policies and procedures, laws, and case law etc. to keep current with various client issues.
- Ensure legal resources are kept current.
- Maintain complete and accurate program records and statistics for all program activities.
- Perform related administrative practices including record keeping, file management and reporting to accredited standards.
- Provide training and public legal educational when necessary.
- · Post-Secondary education/or equivalent training and education in Criminology, Psychology, Sociology or Family Law or a related social services program.
- Two years’ experience working in a related field.
- Good understanding of Family Law and working knowledge of Poverty Law and Immigration Law.
- Knowledge of community resources and other social service agencies.
- Self-motivated with the ability to run an organized caseload.
- Ability to speak either Punjabi, Hindi or Urdu.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals who are experiencing a wide range of sensitive issues.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License and access to a vehicle.
Start Date: ASAP
- · 100% employer paid coverage for extended health and dental
- · Long term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- · Employee & Family Assistance plan
- · Pension plan
- · Generous paid time off, starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: March 16, 2021. Internal candidates will be contacted by March 17, 2021.
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Legal Advocacy Program Manager, Gurjit Pawar at email@example.com. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, thank you.