Life Skills Instructor – Casual
March 23rd, 2021| INTERNAL/ EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 21-032
Position: Life Skills Instructor – Casual/ On-Call
Location: Life Skills Resource Centre (Newton) / Enrichment Services Centre (Cloverdale) – Surrey
Hours: N/A (as required)
(The Life Skills and Enrichment Services Centres offer a variety of programs and services which require the Centre to be open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. Casual/ On-call instructors will typically be called to fill shifts within this time frame)
We are looking for a Casual/ On-Call Life Skills Instructor to join our Sources Life Skills team! This individual must be compassionate, creative, and enjoy working in a team
Sources is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing help, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, and Prince George for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We provide services such as food banks, counselling, employment services, and community living programs. At Sources we value respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Life Skills Centre
The Life Skills program is a multi-faceted service that has been running since the early 80’s, offering individuals a wide range of center and community-based services. Our diverse, talented and experienced staff continually strive to expand the participant’s horizons and life opportunities. We place a strong emphasis on developing confidence through meaningful activities and learning experiences that promote healthy relationships, self-expression, and inclusiveness for clients in their own communities. Person-centred, we endeavour to assist a range of clients in progressing to their highest potential while also providing on-going supports to ensure long-term stability and quality of life.
Sources Enrichment Services Centre- Cloverdale
Our mission is to provide meaningful experiences and opportunities for growth. The philosophy is to enhance life experiences through providing a positive, structured environment that allows for the exploration of individual strengths and abilities.
Through the visual arts, social facilitation, recreational design and other creative means we aim to connect individuals to their community for their long term mental, emotions and physical health.
The Enrichment Services Center offers a group-based program providing a set curriculum of activities weekly to promote well-being, social participation and independence. Our set curriculum is based on five categories of activities that we believe support meaningful experiences and opportunity for growth. These categories of activities are aimed to be offered once to three times a week: Community Based Activity, Communication Development, Art and Creative Expression, Health and Fitness, and Social Participation.
- · Activity planning and implementation
- · Direct client support through modelling and teaching
- · Supporting clients with personal care needs
- · Behaviour and communication supports
- · Reporting and documentation
- · Engaging in positive and meaningful supports with service users
- · Working cohesively with a team of caring and compassionate professionals
- · Minimum 1 year post-secondary education, preferably in behavior sciences, social
- · work, community social services or the demonstrated equivalent through past work experience.
- · Experience working with people with developmental/physical barriers.
- · Training and/ or experience working with clients with behavioural challenges, issues related to mental health or dual diagnosis is a strong asset.
- · Familiarity with Community Inclusion and the goals of Community Living British Columbia.
- · Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and actively use critical thinking skills
- · Must be comfortable in providing personal care supports such as lifting and transferring, feeding and toilet assistance for clients needing personal care assistance, if required.
- · Participate fully in life skills training along with theatre, arts and culture, swimming and a wide variety of recreation and leisure activities.
- · Candidates must have a good command of the English language, and familiarity with Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, or Chinese would be an asset.
- · Minimum Class 5 license with a good driving record to start. A restricted Class 4 driver’s license is not a requirement but is an asset.
- · Ability to pass a Criminal Record check is required.
- · Comfort and familiarity with the use of Windows related programs and internet resources is essential.
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date: April 9th, 2021. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by April 14th, 2021 or earlier
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Jason Cusator, Human Resources Director, email@example.com. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.