Life Navigation Worker/Community Support Worker – Temporary, Full Time
March 24, 2022 | INTERNAL/ EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 22-030
Position: Life Navigation Worker/ Community Support Worker – Temporary (Maternity Leave)
Location: Life Skills Resource Centre – Surrey (Newton)
Hours: 35-hour a week position, April 19, 2022- April 19-2023
(Position hours are generally set between 8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday. Flexibility is necessary)
We are looking for a Life Navigation Worker/ Life Skills Instructor to work both as a team member in our adult day program and independently in the community supporting adults with diverse abilities.
SOURCES is a community-based non-profit organization that has been providing support, encouragement, and hope for individuals and families in White Rock, Surrey, Delta, Langley, Prince George, and Parksville for 40 years. We serve 40,000 individuals yearly and that is all owing to our dedicated team. We welcome people of all genders, races, cultures, ethnicities and abilities. We strive to create more vibrant and resilient communities by offering support to children, youth, families, persons with disabilities, seniors, LGBTQ2S+ individuals, and others who are coping with isolation, addiction, mental illness, poverty, disability and conflict. We also support our communities through leadership, education and volunteerism.
SOURCES is also committed to learning about, celebrating and incorporating Indigenous knowledge into our practices as we continue our work in truth, reconciliation and resurgence.
We value diversity, respect and collaboration as we are all striving to promote the same mission—social wellness for our community.
Sources Life Skills Centre
The Life Skills program is a multi-faceted service that has been running since the early 80’s, offering individuals a wide range of center and community-based services. Our diverse, talented and experienced staff continually strive to expand the participant’s horizons and life opportunities. We place a strong emphasis on developing confidence through meaningful activities and learning experiences that promote healthy relationships, self-expression, and inclusiveness for clients in their own communities. Person-centred, we endeavour to assist a range of clients in progressing to their highest potential while also providing on-going supports to ensure long-term stability and quality of life.
- · Direct client support through modelling and teaching
- · Supporting clients with personal care needs as needed
- · Behaviour and communication support
- · Reporting and documentation
- · Engaging in positive and meaningful supports with service users
- · Working cohesively with a team of caring and compassionate professionals
- · Ability to work independently in the community with clients in their homes/community
- · Understanding of person-centered approach
- · Minimum 1-year post-secondary education, preferably in behavior sciences, social
- · work, community social services or the demonstrated equivalent through past work experience.
- · Experience working with people with developmental/physical barriers.
- · Training and/ or experience working with clients with behavioural challenges, issues related to mental health or dual diagnosis is a strong asset.
- · Familiarity with Community Inclusion and the goals of Community Living British Columbia.
- · Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and actively use critical thinking skills
- · Must be comfortable in providing personal care supports such as lifting and transferring, feeding and toilet assistance for clients needing personal care assistance, if required.
- · Participate fully in life skills training along with theatre, arts and culture, swimming and a wide variety of recreation and leisure activities.
- · Candidates must have a good command of the English language, and familiarity with Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, or Chinese would be an asset.
- · Class 5 or 7 license required with a good driving record to start. A Class 4 driver’s license is a requirement to drive certain program vehicles and will be a requirement of employment in an agreed amount of time upon hire (time dependent of class of license currently held)
- · A personal vehicle is required to assist clients in the community and their homes. (Sources pays .51 a km)
- · Ability to pass a Criminal Record check is required.
- · Comfort and familiarity with the use of Windows related programs and internet resources is essential.
- · Proof of vaccine required
Start Date: ASAP
Salary: $20.94 hour
Benefits (if applicable):
- · Employee & Family Assistance plan
- · Generous vacation starting at 3 weeks
Closing Date: Open until filled
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Christine Diamond, Community Inclusion Manager-Surrey, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.