Life Skills Instructor- Discovery Program
November 21, 2023| EXTERNAL/INTERNAL JOB POSTING
COMPETITION NO. 23-154
Position: Life Skills Instructor- Discovery Program
Location: Newton and Community
Hours: Casual, on-call
We are looking for a casual, on-call Life Skills Instructor to work in our adult day program. Successful candidates will have education and/or relevant experience to support adults with diverse abilities in their endeavours to live dignified, meaningful, and independent lives.
SOURCES is a community-based non-profit organization providing support and hope to communities in the Lower Mainland, on Vancouver Island, and across Northern BC. Sources strive to create vibrant and resilient communities through support to adults, children, youth, and families facing challenges in life such as mental health, disability, poverty, substance use, and conflict. We support our communities through leadership, education, and volunteerism.
Sources is committed to learning about, celebrating, and incorporating Indigenous knowledge into our practices as we continue our work in truth and reconciliation. People of all races, cultures, ethnicities, LGBTQ2S+, and abilities are welcome to work with us. We value diversity, respect, and collaboration as we promote our mission: Social Wellness for our Community.
Description of position:
The Life Skills program is a multi-faceted service that has been running since the early 80s, offering individuals a wide range of center and community-based services. Our diverse, talented, and experienced staff continually strive to expand the participant’s horizons and life opportunities. We place a strong emphasis on developing confidence through meaningful activities and learning experiences that promote healthy relationships, self-expression, and inclusiveness for clients in their own communities. Person-centered, we endeavour to assist a range of clients in progressing to their highest potential while also providing ongoing support to ensure long-term stability and quality of life.
- Work independently and as a team to provide recreational activities and life skills support to individuals with diverse abilities.
- Work collaboratively in a center-based program with a large team
- Supporting clients with personal care needs as needed
- Creating and implementing social recreational opportunities to program participants.
- Participating in the creation and delivery of behaviour and communication strategies.
- Direct client support through modeling and teaching
- Reporting and documentation
- Engaging in positive and meaningful support with service users
- Working cohesively with a team of caring and compassionate professionals
- Strong understanding of person-centered approach
Program Specific Responsibilities:
- Participate in all Life Skill Center Programs when necessary
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and actively use critical thinking skills.
- Ability to provide personal care support such as lifting and transferring, feeding, and toilet assistance for clients needing personal care assistance when required.
- Complete daily documentation, clearly and concisely.
- Deliver safe, dignified support.
- Create and deliver daily activities.
- Follow client support plans as outlined.
- Minimum 1-year post-secondary education, preferably in behavior sciences, social work, community social services, or the demonstrated equivalent through past work experience
- Effectively communicate professionally, verbally, and written in English
- Criminal Records check through the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General Criminal Records Review Program
- Minimum Class 7 Driver’s license to start
- Training and/ or experience working with clients with behavioural challenges, issues related to mental health, or dual diagnosis is a strong asset.
- Familiarity with Community Inclusion and the goals of Community Living British Columbia.
- Vaccinations (Covid-19) as per funders mandate
Start Date: December 11th, 2023.
Benefits (as applicable per position)
- Long-term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, accidental death & dismemberment coverage
- Employee & Family Assistance Plan
- Pension plan
Closing Date: December 3rd, 2023. Internal candidates will be contacted by December 4th, 2023.
How to apply: Please email your cover letter and resume to Christine Diamond, Manager of Community Inclusion Services, email@example.com. Please include where you saw this job posting in your email. Thank you.