Life Skills Instructor – Permanent Part Time
COMPETITION NO. 17-144
POSITION: Life Skills Instructor – Permanent Part-Time
CURRENT LOCATION: Life Skills Resource Centre – Surrey (Newton)
CURRENT HOURS: 30 hrs/wk (Mon-Sat)
This position involves supporting adults who live and work with intellectual and/or physical challenges. The position will involve be working in a team setting in a centre-based program located in Newton. The program supports approximately over 50 individuals who receive service through the Adult Discovery Program, the Afternoon Skill Builders Program at this location, as well as being able to work off-site in the community with clients in the Community Living Program. The primary focus of this position will be to work with a team of staff to organize and provide daily activities that would include accessing the community and aid in achieving personal growth and self-worth. This will include some 1-1 support as well as working in group operating from the Life Skills Centre. Staff is required to assist with personal care and working with participants who have some moderate behavioural challenges.
- Minimum 2 years post-secondary education, preferably in behavior sciences, social work, community social services or the equivalent
- Minimum 3 months experience working with people with developmental/physical challenges.
- Must have training and experience working with clients with behavioural challenges, issues related to mental health or dual diagnosis.
- Familiarity with Community Inclusion and the goals of Community Living British Columbia.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and actively use critical thinking skills
- Must be comfortable in providing personal care supports such as lifting and transferring, feeding and toilet assistance for clients needing personal care assistance, if required.
- Participate fully in life skills training along with theatre, arts and culture, swimming and a wide variety of recreation and leisure activities
- Candidates must have a good command of the English language, and familiarity with Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, or Chinese would be an asset.
- A Class 4 driver’s license with a clean driving record is required to drive the program vans or mini-bus. A car is required.
- Ability to pass a Criminal Record check is required.
- Comfort and familiarity with the use of Windows related programs and internet resources is essential.
START DATE: As soon as possible
SALARY: $17.50 per hour
BENEFITS: As per benefits package
CLOSING DATE: December 26, 2017.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION AND RESUME TO: JASON CUSATOR, MANAGER OF SOURCES LIFE SKILLS CENTRE
email@example.com Fax: 604-592-5595
INTERNAL CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED BY December 27, 2017